A San Diego tradition since it was first built in 1948, the Balboa Park Miniature Railroad was purchased in 1981 by owner and operator David Weir, seen running the train here. In addition to the original Locomotive #510, a one-fifth-scale model of the Southern Pacific Coast Daylight Passenger trains of the 1940s, Weir purchased Locomotive #554 and fully restored it, and in 1996 it became the primary train. In 1999, the Zoological Society of San Diego purchased the railroad, although Weir continued to operate the train until he retired in 2002. Then San Diego Zoo employees became the "engineers" of the Balboa Park Miniature Railroad. With some tree trimming, replacement of rails and ties, checking engines, and setting up the train station, yard, and ticket sellers, and everyone was ready to roll! It was a dream come true for many Zoo employees, who remembered riding the train when they were kids.