Zoo director Dr. Charles Schroeder (left) and Zoo mammal curator Dr. George Pournelle (center) were on hand to accept the extraordinary gift of two Barbary macaques, also known as the "rock apes of Gibraltar," from Commander Guy Morton Neely, Jr., (right) and the crew of the U.S.S. Floyd B. Parks. The macaques, Gabrielle (left) and Richard (right), represented a group of this species that had been separated at some point in the distant past from populations in Morocco and Algeria to live on "The Rock," the Rock of Gibraltar. When the British took Gibraltar in 1704, they came upon the monkeys, which they referred to as "rock apes," and made them a mascot of the British Army stationed there. There was even an Officer in Charge of Apes, whose duties included making sure the packs of monkeys were fed and looked after. That position continued until 1991, when the government of Gibraltar took over—but to this day they continue to look after the monkeys as a matter of tradition. No wonder Richard and Gabrielle were given with such pomp and circumstance to the San Diego Zoo!