In 1937, a new aviary was completed that reached even loftier heights than the Scripps Flight Cage built in 1923—the Great Eagle Cage. It was 110 feet tall and 160 feet long, surpassing its predecessor as the largest aviary in the world at the time. In the photo at the left, Dr. Harry stands at the base, admiring the birds in their new home. When other species were added, it became the Birds of Prey Aviary; later it would be renovated to become the Rain Forest Aviary, and today it is known as the Owens Rain Forest Aviary.
Another significant, and longstanding, addition to the Zoo was the completion of the Reptile House and the exhibits behind it on Reptile Mesa—both of which are still at the Zoo today.